“This is exactly what I was looking for! Digital citizenship felt like a challenging topic for first graders, but I never imagined it could be so fun!”
Connect, Explore, Discover
Part of the Online Team
This program is the first in a series but it can also stand alone.
This fun, interactive series explores digital citizenship with a crew of puppet friends. Learners in grades pre-K-4 will get loads of practical tips for digital citizenship as they guide their new puppet friends to solve real-world problems in technology. Developmentally appropriate activities prepare learners with future-ready skills. This unique online learning experience is based on the SEL zones of regulation model from Leah Kuypers, MA.Ed.
Lesson 2: Online Communities
Pre-K & Kindergarten: Online Neighborhoods
Grade 1: Friends & Online Neighborhoods
Grade 2: Being a Part of the Team Online
Grade 3: Friends, Family & Strangers: Different Online Communities
Grade 4: Part of an Online Community
Length: 1 class period (flexible)
Target Audience: grades pre-K-4
Up to 100 participants via Zoom Webinar or one full class via standard video conferencing call.
This program is taught by an experience online educator, accompanied by a few puppet friends. The participation flows naturally between educators and learners through active discussion.
- Meet and Greet
- Problem of the Day: inquiry & discovery of online communities
- Activity 1: appropriate participation in online communities
- Zones of Regulation
- Activity 2: online communities & feelings
- Solution of the Day: positive contributions to online communities
- List characteristics of a community.
- Compare & contrast online & offline communities.
- Determine placement of self in communities.
- Identify feelings related to online communities.