Connect, Explore, Discover
Online learning experts are here for you! Schedule a free 15-minute consultation and spark the joy of learning.
Culture & History of Los Angeles: Olvera Street
This event is one class period (flexible).
Up to 100 participants via Zoom Webinar. Sign up today to save your spot!
|Students learn about the founding of Los Angeles! Starting from the original town square, travel live with your teacher to learn who founded Los Angeles and where they came from. Olvera Street today looks the same as it did 250 years ago! See the vibrant colors, rich food and diverse culture of Spain and Mexico.|
- 1. Program begins in front of the church mural whose name gave us “Los Angeles”.
2. Travel the Olvera Plaza to meet the King who founded the city, the names of the first 37 residents, and even the land where many are still buried today.
3. Stop at a section of the Berlin wall to discuss how immigration, and freedom, today has its roots in early Los Angeles
4. Walk from one end of the famous Olvera Plaza to the other, stopping at various shops, historical homes, and murals to learn about early Mexican-American and modern Chicano culture.
5. Watch pre-recorded video of Teacher Travis at various food trucks around the city to learn about popular mexican food in Los Angeles.
6. End with Teacher eating at the restaurant that created the first taco!
- Participants will understand the diversity of Los Angeles
Participants will compare Olvera with their own city
Participants will learn about the rich history of Latiné Americans