Connect, Explore, Discover
Online learning experts are here for you! Schedule a free 15-minute consultation and spark the joy of learning.
Culture & History of Los Angeles: Little Tokyo
This event is one class period (flexible).
Up to 100 participants via Zoom Webinar. Sign up today to save your spot!
|Explore Japanese-American culture and history by visiting the historic Little Tokyo neighborhood in DTLA. Learn about the founders of the neighborhood, struggles through World War II, and the post-war cultural boom. Walk live with a teacher to experience shopping, history and culture in this unique LA neighborhood!|
- Program begins in front of Japanese American museum. Teacher introduces history of location and shares historical photographs.
- Next, teacher shows the 2nd oldest Buddhist temple in the city and identifies Japanese themed cultural artifacts.
- Pre-recorded video at the Japanese American museum highlighting early Japanese-American culture.
- Interview local community leader whose family has owned the oldest sweets shop in Los Angeles for over 100 years.
- Walk through Little Tokyo plaza, visit shops, and even read traditional haikus together.
- Wrap program at wishing tree, make a wish together!
- Participants will understand the diversity of Los Angeles
- Participants will compare Little Tokyo with their own city
- Participants will learn about the rich history of Japanese Americans and write their own haiku