Connect, Explore, Discover
Digital Citizenship Episode 4: Technology Balance
Using technology for both school and fun can be difficult. We meet Olive from “planet Digitopolis” who loves to play computer games. She also has homework to do! In this program, learners help Olive decide how much screen time is appropriate, set timers and make a schedule to stay on track.
This fun, interactive series explores digital citizenship with a crew of puppet friends. Learners in grades pre-K-4 will get loads of practical tips for digital citizenship as they guide their new puppet friends to solve real-world problems in technology. Developmentally appropriate activities prepare learners with future-ready skills. This unique online learning experience is based on the SEL zones of regulation model from Leah Kuypers, MA.Ed.
This program is the fourth in a series but it can also stand alone.
Length: 1 class period (flexible)
Target Audience: grades pre-K-6
Up to 100 participants via Zoom Webinar or one full class via standard video conferencing call.
- Meet & Greet
- Wellness Check-in: Zones of Emotions
- Video Vignette: Olive is Overwhelmed
- Olives Emotions: Ask Olive
- Physical & Emotional Effects of Screen Time
- Balancing Strategies
- Video Vignette: Olive is Balanced
- Olive’s Emotions: Ask Olive
- Wellness Check-in & Summary: Emotions & Technology Balance
- List ways that they use technology.
- Determine appropriate amounts of time to spend with technology each day.
- Identify feelings related to technology use.
- Explore strategies for balancing technology use.
2b Students engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using devices.
1.1.a Students articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes.
1.3.d Students build knowledge by actively exploring real-world issues and problems, developing ideas and theories and pursuing answers and solutions.