“This is exactly what I was looking for! Digital citizenship felt like a challenging topic for first graders, but I never imagined it could be so fun!”
Connect, Explore, Discover
Digital Citizenship: Parent Workshop
Parents must first understand their own relationship to digital citizenship in order to best support a generation of digital natives to act responsibly online. The keys are to know which questions to consider, to model conscious behavior, and to leave the conversation open. In this workshop, Banyan’s teachers will lead parents through the latest research, identify surprising results and misconceptions, and guide each parent to create the rules and expectations that work for their family.
This program is taught by an experienced online educator, accompanied by a few puppet friends. The participation flows naturally between educators and learners through active discussion.
- Meet and Greet
- Problem of the Day: inquiry & discovery of online communities
- Activity 1: appropriate participation in online communities
- Zones of Regulation
- Activity 2: online communities & feelings
- Solution of the Day: positive contributions to online communities
- List characteristics of a community.
- Compare & contrast online & offline communities.
- Determine placement of self in communities.
- Identify feelings related to online communities.